If you love mushrooms, like me, then this is a killer recipe. Adapted from that Kiwi classic, the Edmonds Cookery Book, this soup is delicious!
I used a variety of button, brown Swiss and flat mushrooms and added a good dollop of gorgeously mild and zippy Austrian tarragon mustard during cooking. I also swapped the milk for cream, added an extra cup of stock and removed the flour. Why? I wanted it super creamy and thick and to be as gluten-fee as possible.
To really make that mushroom flavour pop, I strongly recommend using a mushroom infused extra virgin oil to drizzle over the soup before you serve – it really brings out that mushroomy flavour. Olivo down in Martinborough have a great Porcini infused oil that is light and earthy at the same time.
Ready in 20 minutes, its quick to prepare and a low carb, gluten-free option for those of you that are into that sort of thing. Otherwise buttered crusty bread is a perfect accompaniment.
3 Tbsp butter 1/2 tsp salt
1 onion, chopped Black pepper
500g mushrooms 1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup single cream Chopped parsley to garnish
1 Tbsp tarragon mustard Porcini infused extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
2 cups liquid chicken stock
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat until it is melted and starting to sizzle.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the onion is clear.
- Add the mustard and cook for a minute.
- Add the cream and stock. Bring the soup back to the boil for a couple of minutes, then reduce to a simmer for and cook for another 10 minutes until slightly reduced. I actually reduced until I felt happy with the look of it.
- Add the salt, pepper and lemon juice, then taste and adjust seasoning to suit.
- Blitz with a stick blender under souper thick and creamy.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and Porcini infused olive oil drizzled over the top.
Serves 4 normal people.
Sooooooo good, it’s happy food!
Note on the ingredients
- The tarragon mustard is Austrian, Mautner Markhof Estragon Tarragon Mustard and you can buy it online from Safka’s Continental Goodies.
- Olivo’s Porcini-infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil. You can buy it direct from Olivo.